Thursday, February 19, 2015

Cruisin' into 2015!


12/26 Friday
Santa Clara to Fort Lauderdale

I'm not sure who in their wildest dreams thought it would be good to leave on a 7AM flight from SFO on the day after Christmas, but they should die a slow, miserable...wait, that was my idea?! Anyhow, yes, we had to leave our house on a super shuttle at 4:50AM with Oma, Opa, Uncle Brian, and both kids. It was a late night getting the kids to bed, cleaning up Xmas fun, getting the house ready for our dog sitter, and -- oh yeah -- packing for an 11 day trip for all four of us -- a trip that included beach time, a gift exchange, formal nights, business casual nights, alcohol distillery, scuba diving, cliff jumping, and I'm sure there are activities I'm forgetting...but suffice to say it's a lot of clothes and things.






Anyhow, we did sleep. A little. Luckily, having two little ones has prepared us for limited functionality with little rest. Caffeine and adrenaline help too. Our alarms went off a 3:30 and we thought that'd be plenty of time, though, of course, we were still rushed. The rest of the family showed up on time and ready to go (well, Opa did have to drive back to their house to double check the front door was locked). We had all the intentions in the world of whisking the kids into their carseats and keeping them fast asleep...I'll wait while you stop laughing.

Around 5, we gave the dogs a goodbye pet and treat, then we were off. Getting on 101, I was nervous since I was sitting next to J as she had a major meltdown. Luckily, she calmed and was asleep my Mountain View. E was far, far too excited to sleep more, but he was a very good boy. Within minutes of being at the airport, Angelina showed up, cheerful as always...and she had gifts for the kids.

It was quite the math problem checking in eight people with X bags each (bag #1 costs $25, while bag #2 is $35). My brain almost popped, but I survived. We also had to deal with the fact that our flight had been consolidated with another and our whole group seats were separate...as in, they had E sitting by himself. Honestly, sitting next to my 2.5-year-old is for the benefit of all the other passengers. My flight would be far less stressful if I had five hours all to myself. Anyhow, we got it resolved so that the Ballous were all together.

With God's gift to airport security -- TSA Pre-Check -- it was a relative breeze getting to the terminal. While Angelina, Oma, Opa, and Brian got us our first dose of coffee, I got E to the potty & into his clothes and Lisa nursed J. By the time all that was taken care of, it was time to board. We hit the air right on time and J promptly had a 60 min nap & E enjoyed the plane's take-off. Once that magic wore off it was time for God's gift to stressed, exhausted parents of toddlers: iPad games (they're educational, back off...or that's how I justify it to myself).

The last hour of our 4.5 hour journey went reasonably well, though everyone was getting hungry and squirmy. In Charlotte, we got tables at the sit down burger joint and had ourselves a nice lunch...or dinner...or whatever. Both kids were busy, however, I did manage to take one or two bites and taste the meat. With a couple more hours of layover to go, I took E to the potty and read him Cars -- him and all the other guys using the facilities. I bet a lot of them were smiling as I recounted Lightning McQueen's adventure in Radiator Springs. While J took another 30 minute cat nap, which she is the queen of, we spotted TCBY and E wanted one, and since he'd been such a champ, we agreed to the treat. Expect for by the time Lisa got it, he was fast asleep and it was nearly time for us to board. So daddy decided he was also a champ and deserved some yogurt :)
Opa carried the sleeping little guy onto the plane with Lisa (and J, in the carrier) right behind. We mostly snoozed for the quick trip down to Miami. There, we got our bags and into the Super Shuttle to Ft. Lauderdale without issue, other than being severely over dressed for the muggy Florida December weather.

 It took a little coordination to get all of our bags up into our hotel room for the night and at 10PM local time, I ran across the street to the mall to get E an quesadilla and us a shared burrito for dinner. While I was out, it sounds like J had a great time taking a cup and pouring half her bath water over the bathroom sink.

While we ate, Nana, Papa, Steve, and Donna returned from their meal and bearing a couple cold Dogfish Head IPAs. After the length of the day, I can safely say they were a gift from God as a reward for my patience and stamina. The kids were thrilled to see Nana & Papa, as were we, though I can't say the enthusiasm foreshadowed a simple bedtime. Though by the time we got them ready and into bed, it was only 20ish minutes of us tag teaming lullibies before they both konked. We weren't far behind, though Lisa did step quickly out to say hi to Vanessa & Tanner, who'd just arrived in Florida. 

12/27 Saturday
Fort Lauderdale to the Open Sea

We thought that an 11AM shuttle to the cruise terminal would be plenty of time. After all, we just had to eat and get the bags downstairs. What wasn't factored in was the time change. Thankfully, we had plenty of help around us and we managed to get everyone on the ship without any significant problems. A feat that with 32 people is impressive. We had to wake a sleeping J to get through security, which is a direct violation of my Golden Rule of "never wake a sleeping baby." But vacations are all about bending the rules.




Our cabin was still being cleaned, so Lisa and I carted the kids to the Lido deck and had a burger at the poolside grill, called Guy's Big Burger Bar (blessed by the Food Network Star himself). Though Missy J was breaking down and we had to hand feed a very distracted E, the burger was very, very good. We went to the cabin, got J ready for a nap, then I dropped E off with Vanessa and Tanner while I took care of some logistics stuff. A short while later, I got a text from Lisa asking me to bring E some new clothes and sunscreen. Evidently, the kid could just not wait to go swimming. With the mandatory fire drill and dinner seating at 6, I thought a nap for the big guy was out of the question, but during the safety talk, he totally passed out in Lisa's arms. I stayed with him and unpacked / got stuff ready for dinner while Lisa went to the upper decks for the sail away party. Vanessa danced with J and ended up on the jumbo screen. Lisa also relayed that they were saying, "Let's hear it for..." and going through all the states. Sounds like Nana had her fingers in her mouth, getting ready for her ear piercing whistle for New Mexico...when they said, "Let's hear it for...New Hampshire! Let's hear it for...New York!" Poor Land of Enchantment can never get any love.

Suddenly, it was time for dinner. Unfortunately, we had to wake E up from his nap, which makes him very, very grouchy. We got the kids ready despite the temperaments, just glad that when we got to the Posh Dining room, we'd be at a table with many of the other family members and that would snap him from his mood. After a few minor detours getting lost on the ship, we found our section -- two big tables, a medium table, a booth, and the four of us -- at a four-top. Just like any other night. My heart sank. It's not that I mind taking care of the kids while we eat, everyday, it's just they're much happier and have more fun when other people besides boing Mommy and Daddy, We made it through appetizers with die cast cars, spoons, and revealing the butter under it's mini-dome and only spilled the water once. The tides turned when Lisa got over tired J to sleep and Nana moved E over to her booth -- suddenly the night was far, far more pleasant.




Post dinner, we scoured the ship for the walking deck, eventually finding it. E had a blast running down the deck, swinging from Opa and Papa's hands, racing with Nana and Donna, while the babies enjoyed the tropical breeze. At one point, E stopped looking out into the and the far off lights of other cruise liners and said, "I see other ships, but I don't see ours." Inside, he danced his little heart out in the lobby and became obsessed with the glass elevators.


After we got the kids down, Lisa hung out on the deck and I self-toured the ship. Later, we laughed over all the funny stories from the day in the bathroom (so as not to chance waking any sleeping child). Boy, vacations changed. 

12/28 Sunday
The Open Sea


With bodies still pooped from jet lag, xmas, and travel, our 8AM alarm felt very, very early. Once we got rolling, the big family breakfast came quickly. It was delicious (I had the Funnest French Toast, which was cheerio's encrusted and was pretty darn fun). Toward the end of breakfast, Lisa started getting a little sea woozy. We got her up to the cabin, got her a Sprite and acupressure bracelet thing while J napped and E went with Nana & Papa to...well, I dunno what the exact plan was, but I knew he was in safe hands. In short order, Lisa was feeling better and hanging on the balcony with J after the gal's power nap. It sounds like the group had a great time too, doing just about whatever they wanted...from sunning to swimming to haircuts.





I started wandering around the ship, generally wondering where Nana, Papa, and E were. And the more I wandered, the more I wondered. Not by the pool or the food or the playground or their room or our room or the walking deck. The more I looked, the more curious I became. I wasn't worried -- like I said, he was in good hands, except I kinda wanted to hang out with them...or someone. On a ship with 3700 passengers, I know it's finding a needle in a very large boat, but our group is approximately 1% of that large number, so most the time you at least run into someone. Which I did, eventually, with Dasha. We chatted for some time and I was thinking that maybe if I stood in one spot, maybe E & crew would find me. Soon Mark showed up and asked if I wanted an E report. Evidently, they were in the shops looking for him some sunglasses. I dashed off before they bought anything, because his glasses were in my bag.

They weren't in the shops by the time I made it there. Finally, I went back to our room and collected Lisa and baby J for a quick bite. Between our room and the taco bar, we ran into just about everyone except for my parents and son. We ate while the Huis fed J. Then we made our way to the deserted piano bar for our gift exchange. Finally, E and Co. appeared and told us about the wonderful day of spotting ships, walking in the wild wind, spinning on every chair in a certain bar, a burger, looking at "spensive sunglasses" (his term), and plenty of potty breaks.


The gift exchange was a riot. No matter how many I participate in,  I always forget what fun they are. People were stealing from babies and parents. There were calendars featuring Goats in Trees, pounds of chocolate, glitter pens, and Unstoppable T-shirts. Even E played...though we'd planted a gift in there for him to open...a model cruise ship.

Afterward, we tried to squeeze a nap in for both kids to nap before our formal night. I'll wait again while you finish laughing. E was definitely skipping his nap, so he and I headed up to the crowded hot tub to let J rest in peace. We slipped into a tub full of a bunch of 20-year-olds. Luckily, E is too little to understand what sort of weed the kids were planning to buy when we docked.



We headed back to the room to get ready and showered both kids. Being formal night, it took some additional time to get us ready. Us boys were ready before the gals...I guess that stereotype begins at infancy. Anyhow, before all the ladies chew my head off, let me get back to my day. So I took E with me to get our of Lisa's hair and meet most of the group for wine.

The lobster dinner was superb and I actually got to enjoy it with Nana taking J for a little. We had fun talking with Mark, Dasha, the Huis, Kevin, and Angelina. For as tired as E was, he did pretty good and did great once the wait staff started singing 'When the moon hits your eyes..." while we all waved our napkins and he danced with Vanessa. It was a magical moment.


Then it was time for bed with both kids beyond tired. It took some finesse to get them both down, but we prevailed and Lisa left to go meet Vanessa & Tanner at the Piano Bar while I watched the kids and got ready for my big day of diving the next day in Grand Turk. 

12/29 Monday
Grand Turk

It was an earlier morning, as I had to get myself fed and off the ship by 8:30...which seemed to be the exact same time the rest of the passengers were aiming for also, since it seemed like they were all at the breakfast buffet. I did feel slightly guilty leaving Lisa as J crawled all over the place and E was very hungry. Not guilty enough to abort my diving...and I'm sure glad that I didn't since we all had fantastic days ashore.






Minutes after finding the dive operator, Oasis Divers, my parents, uncle Mark, and I were on the turquoise waters, skimming past the low white sands on our way to the Dive shop to get outfitted for gear. It was a boat for approximately 30 people, but there were only 12 divers, 2 dive masters, and the captain aboard. We geared up and were back on the water in a jiffy. Just a few more minutes and we were all suited up and taking our giant strides into the 80 degree water.





Meanwhile, Lisa, the kids, Oma, & Opa were getting off the Freedom and heading toward the nearly new Margaritaville resort complex where most the rest of the group already were. It sounded insane (as evidenced by the 64 oz blenders full of Margaritas that everyone had). The pool was epic and included a standing wave to try surfing, several bridges, and maybe a pool bar or two. There was dancing and shots and...well, let's say it was a little overwhelming for E. J on the other hand, appeared to be a party girl, and had a great time being traded for Margarita blenders amongst the relatives. Opa, Lisa, and E went to the beach and E was in heaven. He donned his goggles and swam to the buoys. They played diggers in the sand.





Thirty feet underwater, the divers were having a great time too. The visibility was better than I could ask for and the coral reef was full of life. We even saw a sea turtle on our decent and a huge Moray Eel sticking out from a ledge. However, the real thrill was the wall. Picture flying a yard above the surface of the ground and then it dropping off over a mile. Grand Turk isn't my first wall, but it was one of the "most wally walls" (as I coined it). The majority that I've dove cut down at a 60 degree angle of so, which is impressive, though nothing compared to the sheer 90 degrees of Turk. We dropped another forty feet down and swam along it before heading to the surface with a total bottom time of 45 minutes. We chatted and recounted our experiences with each other, comparing and contrasting over dive locales we'd done.







They were finally able to drag baby J from Margaritaville to the beach. And, jeez, she sounds even more of beach than party. They had her infant life jacket on and she even fell asleep doing a back float. She would get upset if anyone attempted to take her out of the water, though she did enjoy trying to eat sand (and/or feed it to others).

We had a short break between dives as the boat headed to another spot called Prime Ministers. The plan was to head back to the wall again, except stay shallower at a maximum of about fifty. It was a fantastic dive on just about all the major criteria I judge. Big animals: An eagle ray gliding by the wall and a couple southern sting rays playing in the sand. Small stuff: an extremely rare yellow frog fish and schools upon schools of fish. Visibility: same -- perfect. Gear problems: Not even a foggy mask. Bottom time: 55 minutes...any longer an I freeze my nookies off, even in the tropical waters.

It was even more fun rehashing the dive as we pulled back to the dive shop. Papa bought a round of the local amber and we walked back to the ship along the perfectly soft white sands. Only half an hour remained before we needed to dock and so Margaritaville was heading back into a more sane state. We were headed on board when we heard Lisa & the family calling us. We waited in a notably long line to get on, but it went quickly since we were all telling the various stories from our day.

Dropping off our bags quickly, we hit the fish & chips place a deck above the buffet and watched as the Freedom pulled anchor. I got E to nap, even though he had planned just a "rest", and took the time to catch up on this trip log on the balcony.

As usual, we had to wake E from his nap to shower and get ready for dinner. As usual, he woke up with grumpy pants on. Luckily, Grace came over and all three kiddos played in the crib while Lisa and I finished getting ready. E sat next to Aunt Dasha, who sure knows how to entertain little ones. She broke out the winter theme foam stickers and they went to town making snowmen and penguins. J, on the other hand, sat next to Lisa and was a real handful. We've started to refer to the little girl as our diet. The highlight of dinner was getting word that Steve & Donn'a newest granddaughter had been born. The 2nd highlight was when they dimmed the lights for the entire wait staff to dance to APPLE  BOTTOM JEANS. E even boogied with them some.

Since both kids were well reseted we went to the comedy / magic show. Parts of it were cute, but for me the real fun was having E turn to me from Nana's lap and say, "the man is making jokes and we are laughing."

After, I took J back "home" to get ready for bed and have cereal while Lisa & E capped the night off with dancing in the atrium and riding the 10 floors of the glass elevators up and down, and up and down, and up...you get the concept. Again, both kids were rested so it took a chunk of an hour to get them both down, even if it was late. So it was after 10:30 when I went "out"...and since I didn't feel like spending too much time looking for people, I went and bought myself a pint of the Carnival exclusive RedFrog Amber, had some fro-yo, and watched Guardians of the Galaxy on the jumbotron over the pool. Maybe not the most social of things to do on a boatful of family and friends, but a rejuvenating one for me...especially with a busy day coming at La Romana, Dominican Republic. 

12/30 Tuesday
La Romana, Dominican Republic.

While I had my relaxing evening Monday night, Lisa got us and the kids ready for the excursion in the Dominican Republic. Man, were we lucky she did...the morning moved like a well-greased machine. We rolled out of bed at 7AM, got ourselves ready, dressed the kids, and up to breakfast in an hour. With a lot of help from the grandparents, we managed to meet the whole group on the pier by 9. We weren't even last!






Taking 30+ people on a self-booked excursion was a little bit of a gamble. The instructions were very clear about where to go, what taxi company to take, and what to tell about where to go. Angelina & Kevin went ahead, scouting the taxi, and getting us moved to the front of the long line. That's when the chaos hit. They whisked us into four or so different vans with kids in laps and with other passengers NOT part of our group. Ron and I ended up as the final two with no Taxi and prayed they knew what group we ultimately belonged to. Thankfully, we found a few other people taking an excursion with the same company and made sure we were all in the same van.

DR was very nice with smooth roads, decent highways, and lush tropics. There was a little more chaos as we got to the tour operator on the beach of Bayihbe...with it's pure white sand, postcard turquoise water, and about the pushiest trinket vendors of all time (more on that later). I checked our party in and was gathering folks to head for our boat when we realized one of the vans was missing. Specifically, the one with my wife and infant. I didn't panic for long, when they showed up. Evidently, the driver took them to the wrong place, but the tour operator there redirected them to us.







All present, we jumped on the speed boat aimed for Saona Island. Ok, jumped is a strong term. We packed into the seats, struggling to balance us, the babies, the gear, all while keeping the aisle clear for others and getting lifejackets on all four of us. At one point, E -- who was on my lap -- was pushing off my backpack (which was also on my lap) and kicking the towel bag (on my lap too), summing up the situation as only a 2-year-old can, "Daddy, you have to much stuff."

Once settled, the stressed faded away as our personal guide CJ -- the redhead from Buenos Aires -- took charge. Minutes later the boat zipped along the resort / jungle covered coast, bouncing along the waves. Every so often, we'd hit bigger one and the back (where we sat) got doused. E seemed to like both the speed and the splash zone. J smiled and would lick her salt-water drenched fingers every chance she got.

The boat ride took half an hour before depositing us on the white beach of the small island of Saona. There we all relaxed, swam, drank, and snorkeled off an old pier. Lunch was delicious. All too soon, we were back on the speed boat heading to just off the main island for snorkeling / wading on sand bars with lots of starfish and more rum punch. We took a ton of pictures, listened to CJ's fascinating starfish facts, and enjoyed the company in the perfect blue waters. J was asleep again (the queen of power naps), so one of the workers held her so Lisa could experience the fun.

Both kids fell asleep on the boat ride back and CJ was so complementary toward them. Sadly, both children woke up the moment we got back on the beach. Luckily, E snapped into a perfect mood the moment he saw a tractor / trailer driving along the beach. He'd never seen such a thing.

Ron and I took E this time for the taxi ride home and all the other passengers got a kick out of him saying, "bye white van with blue letters. Bye green motorcycle. Bye bicycle. Bye..." you get the idea that he did it for just about every identifiable object. Back on the ship, we found out that Tanner, Vanessa, Kevin, & Angelina had some trouble with their taxi driver and almost had to find alternate means to get home.







Back on the ship, we showered and made an attempt to get the kids napping. After a short try, it became obvious that (1) E was skipping nap and (2) J couldn't and (3) she wasn't sleeping if E was in ear shot. So I took him up to have a snack of fries, lemonade, and froyo. We (meaning me) had wine in Nana & Papa's room while E made a track between the balcony door and the bathroom. They took him down to our group's makeshift wine party on Deck 5 Aft while I got dressed and helped with J.

Dinner went pretty well since once again Nana & Papa ate with E at their table. J was a little harder to deal with, but allowed her Mommy to eat half of her meal before flipping out. The waiters shook their booties again and it really was a blast dancing and singing with them.



Post dinner took on an air of routine. Lisa and E rode the glass elevators and danced, while J got ready for bed. Exhausted, both kids went down within minutes. While Lisa put the final touches on her make up (it was an "out" night for her), I grabbed another RedFrog Amber and my iPad and wrote the very blog you're reading right now, enjoying having both kids fast asleep.

At 11 my luck changed-- J woke up and was NOT happy to see Daddy. Tried everything. Ended up locked in the bathroom, with her screaming at top of her lungs, back arched, and with a face so red it thought she had a horrible sunburn. By some miracle, I got her to quiet enough to phone Nana for help -- who went and found Lisa to come and rescue me. Honestly, it was hard to admit defeat, but it's better to loose a battle than ones sanity.


12/31
Aruba

No port until later in afternoon, so a subgroup went to sit down breakfast -- merely 20 of us -- it was nice though the menu was trunkated compared to Princess or even the Carnival Brunch at Sea. We met up at the pool and Oma took J so Lisa could swim. A lot of us ended up going down the slide and hanging out in the hot tub, which became E's favorite spot on the ship.






We are a really quick burger lunch (have I mentioned how amazing these burgers are), and then headed off ship. We pushed the elevator down button & waited forever. Finally, the an up elevator stopped and knowing that what comes up must come down, we took it. Only to find that EVERY deck's button had been selected. Somewhere on the vertical journey, a set of grandparents joined us and were so nice that we let them be our kids' "grandparents" for the purpose of bypassing the long line and sneak off the ship with the strollers at the front.

I met those heading to the Jeep tour (Metsers, Ballous, Neumons) and got them underway, before going back and collecting the rest of us just hanging out in Orangjestead (spelling?). It took some finesse, but we got out on the town. Strangely, sounded like a war zone, pop Pop POP all the time. Turns out it was some festivity where they'd lay these huge poppers along the roads and light them. It was one of the loudest things ever. Both kids slept through the whole thing. We tried to cut through this tunnel / mall when we noticed them prepping another series of explosions in front of us. They went off before we made it back the other way. I was mistaken earlier: THAT was the loudest sound ever -- the echo and confined space tripling the effect. Our ears literally ringing, we collected everyone (though we lost the Geissers / Christensens back to the ship). Once again, the kids stayed asleep through it all...which begs the question: how at home, does J wake up when we cough loud, but can be dead to the world in the middle of that chaos? Should we look into buying a place near more gunfire to get a good night's sleep?



Continuing our Oranjestead adventure, we marched on -- though every time we tried to cut left to the "main drag" there'd be another round of explosions. We were having fun. The little girls would all mimic the statues we'd come across for a picture. There was a beautiful park with a bunch of iguanas and pelicans. Eventually, we found a small beach / bar and spent the rest of the time sampling the local beers while watching the kids play in the sand / ocean (ok, not E, he was still asleep). The instant J heard the water, she HAD to go swimming, despite not having a swim suit or anything -- hey, what are vacations for?

Gradually we headed back to the ship, avoiding more of fireworks. Getting on, we suddenly realized we had 50 minutes until formal night and weren't ready...at all. We more of passed though the shower with the kids than actually taking one as well as throwing together some impromptu fancy clothes for this unexpected formal night. AND we made it to our seats on time. It was impressive if exhausting.

The people on the Jeep tour were still on island, so we had a quaint dinner of 20. It was fun. Oma & Opa watched E at the other table, so we just had J...who really took both of our attention -- she needed another nap and there were no live ammunition around. As redemption from the night prior, I did get her to sleep twice during dinner (the power nap queen, of course, didn't stay asleep).





The waiter dancing was great again and E boogied down with me and the staff. After dinner, E wanted to go dancing more. So we went to the lobby, only to have the music stop moments later. Disappointed, we went the main pool and found the NYE band warming up and E was in heaven. The whole dance floor and band to himself. Back in the room, they'd left a noise maker and E thought you had to say "Happy New Year" before blowing it. So while we got the kids ready for bed, he kept going, "happy new year," blow, honk, deep breath, "happy new year," and so on. He was so jazzed it took him some time (over an hour) to wind down enough to go to sleep. When he did, Lisa went out for an hour to watch the 2,200 balloons drop from the atrium while I got stuff ready for the early excursion on Curacao the following day.




Lisa and I traded spots at 11:30 and I found our group hanging out on on a balcony over the pool. I talked with the Jeep people and it sounded like a fun, wild day: including a daring rescue by Steve's jeep for another Jeep (Kevin's) stuck in the stand. Double fisting a Red Frog Amber and a champagne, we counted down with the other 3,700 guest + staff. It was probably the biggest New Years Party I'd attended (which, doesn't say much, but still). The youngin's went to the clubs, but I opted for a frozen yogurt with my folks and then back to the room for my New Years kiss with Lisa (slightly belated). 


1.1.15
Curacao

Considering that everyone stayed up very late to usher in 2015, getting off the ship in Willemstad at 8:30 for 19 of us was very, very early. We made it though and were met by Bob (our tour guide / driver from Irie tours right upon entry into the terminal. He ushered us on to our home for the day, an open air bus, painted rastifarian colors and outfitted with huge speakers and a body-sized cooler full of the local beer, POLAR, sodas, and water. The name, plastered proudly on the side said it all: LOKO BUS.





On the way to our first stop, we got a sense of Curacao a mostly volcanic rock island, that's concrete buildings suffer from salt erosion so severely they have to be repainted annually in the Caribbean pinks, yellows, and teals. It makes things so colorful and clean. Coupled with the dutch style of the original European settlers. Bob conveyed this all in a fun, relaxed fashion...only interrupting the party hits blaring out of the speakers for a minute or so at a time.

We made a quick stop at the famed Curacao distillery which mades the famed sweet liquor from the bitter orange rinds grown on the island. Being a holiday, nothing was functioning except the gift shop -- and that was fine. At 9AM, post-New Years, there was less interest in drinking besides the nimble-sized tastes they had to encourage additional souvenir purchases.






A lagoon that typically attracts Flamingos was a quick break on our island tour. The birds must've also been taking a holiday, as there were very, very few of them and pretty far off. Though we did see a couple fly off and seeing the large birds, pink as they come with black tipped wings, was impressive. The inch deep, fresh water was also home to these little brown jellyfish that floated "head down" with short tentacles reaching for the surface to catch food. It was surprising and just one of those little things that make you shake your head at the wonder and sheer variety of nature.

We had an hour to hang out at Porto Marie -- one of the most perfect, postcard worthy beaches imaginable. Tucked in a lush cove, a dock jetted from the white sands into the flat, warm, teal waters. A hundred yards off shore was a floating deck that served for sun bathing, jumping, and a pit stop to the slightly deeper snorkeling area. The line of buoys marked these submerged hallow soccer ball things, 3 feet in diameter and half buried, which served as an artificial reef and home to all kinds of tropical fish: yellow striped Sargent Majors, pastel Parrot fish, and even a pair of comically skinny trumpet fish. Everyone, including J and E, enjoyed swimming and playing in the sand. Before we knew it, we were back on the LOKO BUS en route to our next adventure.





The National Park we stopped reminded me of Montano de Oro by where Lisa and I went to college. A windblown ground giving way into a craggly coastline with waves breaking so hard that the spray lifts yards into the air. A short walk deposited us near a cave nestled in the shoreline and though the seas were too rough to go deep into it, we all snuck inside as far as we felt comfortable. Even E was brave enough...though we held him tight since the rocks were wet and slippery.  He liked power and spray of the waves, going "OHHH!" after each.

En route to lunch, Bob stopped at bluff overlooking another beach to "take some pics." Suddenly, Tanner was ripping off his shirt and shoes, standing on the muddy edge above the pristine waters. Before I had time to ready my camera, he leapt from 45-50 cliff. I was ready to snap the pictures as Erik was the second to take the plunge. It was as Vanessa readied herself that I felt the twinge of wanting / peer pressure. It'd been maybe a decade since I'd jumped from something remotely this high -- it was at Lake Powell during a college break and that was more like 70 or 75. And that time it ended in one major adrenaline rush and one major botched entry (and one major bruised backside). I'd swore to myself that my cliff jumping days were at an end. I should learn not to swear things like that, I'm not good at keeping them, especially when E is saying, "Go, Daddy, Go." I handed Gary all my stuff and had the wind whistling in my ears before I gave my mind to remember any self-oaths made decades prior.  For those of you who haven't done a ton of cliff jumps, heights lower than 30 feet don't really give enough fall time for your brain to realize that you're plummeting. This fall, however, was long enough from my neurons to register the fact that gravity had good hold and a floor of very hard looking water was swiftly approaching. Splashing in the water a split second later, the relief and adrenaline caught up, and breaking the surface all I could do was laugh and hoot. The feelings were doubled when I heard Lisa telling me that E was saying, "Again, Daddy, again." However, it was on the swim back -- as the natural high faded -- that I felt the slap the water had made on my...ummm, back upper thigh...a result of another semi-bad entry. (Later, I found the bruise. Not as bad as that Lake Powell one, but all the same -- a purple-green reminder of why I stopped doing some things.) I swear my cliff jumping days are over ;)

The late lunch at a local open air restaurant was chaotic figuring out who got what meal and whatnot, but we all ate plenty and had fun recounting the day so far. We decided we needed to make our way back to the ship. Part of the return road was so hilly, we had E raising his hands like a roller coaster. After smoothing out, he feel asleep on my lap despite Rhianna and Timberland blaring over the Loko's music system. Of course, J zonked out in Lisa's arms. Yet more evidence that we live in much to quiet of a neighborhood. 






E didn't wake up until I was carrying him up the gangway. The moment his eyes opened, he said, "I want to skip my nap." I laughed and told him that he'd already taken it. With a couple hours to spare, he and I went to his favorite hot tub with Nana & Papa. He loved watching and cheering as people exited the water slide, especially his grandparents and daddy.

After another fantastic dinner, I took J to the cabin to play / get ready for bed. At some point during our trip, she figured out that that the switch over our pillows turns the main lights on & off. It took some crazy daddy skills to get her diaper and clothes changed with her singular, all consuming goal of pressing the switch as many times as humanly possible. Lisa returned from the show without E...evidently, going home with her wasn't an option with him telling everyone on the way out of the theater, "Opa, off to the glass elevator."  A quarter of an hour later, I found all of them dancing in the atrium lobby.

Oma & Opa volunteered to watch the sleeping kiddos so both Lisa and I could go out together. Of course, neither kid wanted to go to sleep. J would whine and E would say, "you need to go to sleep," and then proceed to sing "Rot-a-bye BAY-Bee" at the top of his lungs. Already late meeting Kristin and Graham, I'd given up on going out, when Oma & Opa arrived and told us that they'd get them to sleep. Guiltily, we agreed and grabbed some drinks and met some of the others outside the Red Frog Pub. Less than halfway through my first beer, Oma came down to tell us J & E were out. We joked about Oma coming to find us just to rub in their superior skills, but really, it helped both of us relax knowing our baby sitters weren't trapped in screaming-infant / Rot-A-Bye hell (see my night with J).

We roamed the ship with the "youngin's" of our group, chatting and drinking until we eventually wound up at the back of the ship and having a late night pizza snack. It was fun, but after such a long day, it was nice to crawl into bed, looking forward to a more relaxing day at sea.

1.2.15
Open Sea
With so many days of go-go-go in a row, most of our crew slept in, so we went to brunch just the four of us. In the true spirit of Carnival, it was a FUN meal: E decided he wanted Mac'n'cheese, Lisa had a stack of pancakes, J had banana with baby oatmeal, and I had cheerio crusted french toast. Later E and I went to pool and spent 90 min in the hot tub -- refused to get into the pool, thought it was cold. So as the Caribbean temperatures rose, I roasted like a lobster. Totally worth seeing how much fun E has playing in the water. Eventually, I coaxed him out with a promise of lunch with Nana and Papa. I actually only had a salad...a much needed dose of lightness and veggies. Then down to the room to get E an early-ish nap. We read his new souvinor book, WE WISH FOR FISH featuring Cat in the Hat (prep for his character breakfast scheduled for Friday). Lisa and J got to the room and J napped too. Yes, that's right: both kids asleep at the same time.




Not only that: Vanessa came to relieve us. We bought a RED FROG Amber to split & hung out by the adult pool. Just before Lisa went to Tea with the ladies, we ran into Graham, Kristin, and baby H. I walked around with them before finding myself a sunny deck chair for 45 min of pure, hot relaxation. When we got back, our cabin was empty -- no kids, no Vanessa, no note. Though we found Vanessa, Tanner, Opa, Nana, and Papa at the kids' playground where J loved climbing through the tunnel and E conquered his slide (see broken leg posts).







It was a mad dash to get them & ourselves ready for formal night. We took formal pics and had a much needed glass of wine before (another) delicious dinner. Fun, as always. E loved the dancing and sitting with Nana to play trains. The highlight was the mustache party. It was the gift Simon took home from the exchange earlier in the week. It was hilarious, especially when the kids wore them. Some guys work the 'stache better than others. Erik could basically become Uncle Ron...who was the grand master of the Mustache party and the only guy to have ''the real deal." Later E stroking my eyebrows and asked if they were my mustache. Such a joker at 2.5...I think we're in trouble.



I got J ready for bed while the others went to the show. We had cereal in the buffet and she loved  looking at all the people for her pre-bed snack. Lisa put them both to bed, and I wandered the ship waiting for Graham. Later, Lisa told me that as she went through all the places people were going too soon (Ron to Arkansas, Vanessa & Tanner to Alaska, Nana & Papa to New Mexico, etc), E asked, "What about Steve & Donna?" Amazing. He noticed they'd been left out of Lisa's list. Next time, he's helping me keep track of people on the excursions. Graham and I met up at 10:30 and a "young dad chat" which was so engrossing that a couple beers and a couple hours passed in a blink. It was past both of our bedtimes.

1.3.15
Open Sea

We wanted to make the most of our last full day on the ship, so we woke up at 7. Ok, it really was because Lisa & E had the Dr. Seuss character breakfast with the other kids. Sounded like a great timeL Bright green eggs. Waffles filled with alternating colors of frosting filling each square. Bow tie napkins. E loved the characters and getting his pic taken with G in the cut outs.



Meanwhile, J & I met Nana & Papa at the buffet for breakfast. No banana, so she had a macerated peach. We hung out on the balcony until the Dr. Seuss breakfast crew returned. Then I took G & E to the pool while J napped. Another boiled lobster day and E still wasn't done. I traded kids with Lisa (so I could cool  and de-prune).

The little gal and I met Oma & Opa down at the trivia to help Simon, though their team came in second, so I guess we weren't that much help. J just was so confident in her answers :) Back on the Lido deck, I had a final Guy's burger for lunch -- those are good enough to sail Carnival again, for sure. Since I scarfed down the burger so fast (why can't I savor things??), I helped E with his bean & cheese burrito so Lisa & my parents could eat.


Back the room, we managed to get both kids napping at the exact same moment (again! Hello master ning and stay that way for an hour. What did we do? Another afternoon of sun and tea and good times, right? Nope -- we packed. And even that hour wasn't quite enough -- so when both kids woke, we handed them to Nana & Papa where E played with the brush and hairdryer and J crawled around, bee-lining it to get into everything she shouldn't.

It was a lifesaver having that extra time to get ready. Though it made it the usual mad dash to get to dinner. J feel asleep again in the stroller durning our wine happy hour. The final dinner was as fantastic as the rest: My Flat Iron steak was awesome and E devoured his bacon mac n cheese. Nana & Papa took E to the show while we had H & J wear their new "Bear Bum" and "Moose Caboose" leggings from Vanessa. Lisa got J to sleep (funny how much of our lives, even vacation, is spent getting kids to go to sleep). I tracked down E who was having the best time dancing with Vanessa and Nana on the atrium floor. It was late, but I just couldn't let the magic of that moment end by my hand. Finally, I got him to bed and Lisa went out, my fingers crossed to prevent a repeat of the melt down night last time Lisa had a night on the ship. And sure enough, everyone stayed asleep. I was feeling a cold coming on, so I got to bed as soon as I could.




1.4.15
Debark at Ft. Lauderdale.

AKA "Plugging back into the grid day." Woke up to the announcement that we'd reached FLL. We got ready and out of the room pretty quickly, with the most complicated part was figuring out breakfast plans -- people were calling and running to different decks and leaving sticky notes. It was Lisa who realized that we could just all turn on our cells. What a wild concept. The sit down breakfast stopped at 8:30, and I think we rolled in with 20 or so people at 8:29. They must have loved us. By the time we were done, they were pretty far along in the disembarkation process. We said bye to the Huis and then waited out the rest of the time in the empty comedy lounge with Dasha handing out the final bites of her homemade, hand-carried fudge and the kids spinning in the lounge chairs. Then it was time to say goodbye to our Pennsylvania congregation. After a quick potty break, it was time to step off the CARNIVAL FREEDOM with a ship-ful of great memories and already talking about where "Cruisin' into 2017" will be.


In the terminal we secured a porter and, man, did he earn his tip on us. Frightening to see all of it piled on one guy's cart. We breezed through customs and by the time we zig-zagged our way through the chaos of people & bags all in various states of being picked up, Nana had two shuttles coming to deposit us to our hotel. We used Mark & Dasha's "shuttle guy" (not to self: you really cruise often when you have a Fort Lauderdale "shuttle guy" -- needless to say, I kept the contact...so I now count myself as having a Ft. Lauderdale "shuttle guy").




Unfortunately, while bag pick up went smooth for most of us, somehow one of Donna's bags went missing from the time they left it out the night before to when they tried to pick it us at the terminal. They scoured just about every possible bag in the huge room without luck. She filled out a form, crossed her fingers, and we met up with the others where the first of our two shuttles arrived.

Baby J was taking a much needed power nap (partly why I think the immigration / customs officer let us through so easily was partially the fussy baby), so Lisa stayed there and I took E on that shuttle. Ten minutes later, we arrived at a perfectly nice Hilton Garden Inn. Mine was the only room ready that early, so we used it as our group's baggage drop. By the time we crammed, 20 people's luggage in there, it felt like that gigantic room was our tiny ship cabin again. Though it didn't matter because we all met up in the lobby as the second shuttle arrived and walked to lunch at Chipotle. I'm not sure why I thought we'd all be able to sit together in a Chipotle on a weekend lunch. Or any lunch at that place. Or any meal, for that matter. Chipotles are always packed. Some people at there, though we took ours to go and ate with the Metsers back at the hotel lobby. Not much after finishing the food and playing "Name That Car" with E, it was time to say bye to Ron, Vicki, and Kristi, who were anxious to get started on their 20 hour drive back to Arkansas (with a quick jaunt by Harry Potter World -- so jealous). And with that, the Arkansas delegation parted.

A bunch of us hit the pool, because well, we hadn't hung out in a pool all week? Anyhow, it was a blast and baby J giggled and played the whole time. E didn't want to get all the way in, the hot tub was too hot and the pool was too cold, though it didn't end up mattering since he was perfectly happy to walk from one to the other just getting his feet wet -- though the highlight was seeing a gecko on the wall. He had a million questions: What's its name? (E-lizard-beth, we decided). Was it a girl? (All E-lizard-beths are girls). Was it a Mommy? (Probably, but we should ask before assuming anything). And on and on.

The kids took baths and us showers before making a decent walk to an Ale House. We occupied a whole corner of the place and tried the different beers on tap while watching the football games. Even with a later, huge lunch, we were all starving again. This a syndrome I call Cruise Ship Metabolism (CSM) -- where the body expects to be stuffed to the brink every 2-3 hours, with snacks such as soft serve / frozen yogurt in the intervals. It's a severe condition. Luckily, the Ale House was willing to accommodate by serving HUGE portions. Plus, we walked by a pay-by-the-ounce frozen yogurt place on the hike back to the hotel -- Yumi Berry. I can safely declare Yumi Berry as the single strangest yogurt shop of I've ever been to: Kosher (they had a very official looking certificate from a Rabbi) that also served Greek, Pannis, and Sushi. It was packed!


Back at the hotel, we had a heartfelt goodbye with the Alaska delegation -- Vanessa and Tanner, since we were on a different shuttle and airline as them, we weren't sure we'd see them. Then it was an early to bed for us all...well, everyone except for J, her 30 minute power nap on the the walk home was good. Fortunately, Vanessa texted that they were having wine in the lobby. Lisa took J for an hour or so while us boys slept. The extra party wore J out. Phew.

Around midnight, we heard from our housesitter that she and the dogs were doing great and up at her family's Sierra cabin. They'd taken a mini-vacation themselves and hiked a 4 miler one day and a 6 miler the following.

1.5.15
Fort Lauderdale to Santa Clara

When the alarm went off at 4 AM, I wasn't sure how much I'd slept. It was one of those restless nights: worrying we'd oversleep, getting too hot, getting too cold, E tumbling out of the double bed in his sleep. That sort of thing. Though I heard from Nana that half the group made it to the airport on the 4:30 shuttle.



Anyhow, in a mad dash, we managed to get everyone else on the 5 AM shuttle, which I'm sure glad we pre-arranged, because we skipped ahead of a lot of people. Our driver made a brilliant game time decision and dropped us at the baggage claim versus the huge line up of cars at departures. It took an act of God + a smart cart + every hand we had to get the baggage upstairs and checked in. The four in our family semi-strolled through security, though I'd forgotten to empty E's wow cup from water and they had to do some chemical test on it, so that slowed us down a little. It was nothing compared to the line Erik, Kevin, Angelina, Gary and Brian endured. They were still coming through when the rest of us boarded. (And, THANK YOU, Nana, for meeting us on the safe side of security with coffee and breakfast in hand).

Miraculously, we all ended up on board and with seats. There was a little...umm, what I'll call heated confusion with some lady and a seat. The flight went smoothly with E & I doing iPad stuff and most everyone else napping. We landed on time and deplaned at Gate 21 in Houston Hobby. Our next flight was at Gate 41 with 45 minute between. We rushed over, only to find 21 was just across the way and we had no reason to rush. As they called boarding group A, we said our farewells to the New Mexico delegation and hopped on the plane...of course, there was some additional heated confusion with that same lady, who was on this leg too. It all worked out and we left on time without any brawls in the aisle.    


After J snacked on some cheerios, Lisa took her into the bathroom for a change. Returning a little flustered, she said me, "I just had a weird scare," and then told a story about how, upon pulling up J's onesie, Lisa noticed that the baby's belly button had become an outie, when that morning, it'd been an innie. In a irrational panic, Lisa thought, the altitude! before discovering the outie was, in fact, a cheerio.

Landing in Oakland went smooth as did saying bye to the remaining members of our group since we all had different ways of getting back to the South Bay. Ours turned out to be a bit of a headache and we ended up waiting around for a couple hours before finding a different shuttle. We got home to two very excited dogs, though we quickly found out that they were exhausted from their mini-vacation. Exhausted, we spent the rest of our paid time off with the kids...taking down Christmas lights, walking the dogs, and beginning the seemingly impossible tasks of unpacking and digging out from Christmas.


Despite the knowledge that work and reality waited for us in the morning, laying down in our own bed felt heavenly. As we drifted to sleep (ok, maybe it was more of a Curacao cliff jumping plummet), we talked about how the trip was just about the best family cruise to date...and one of the funniest trips we'd ever taken. My last conscious thought was that all the time, prep, organization, packing, and money had translated into a unforgettable vacation for myself plus 31 of the people I love most in this world. And I couldn't think of a better way (or better company) to usher in this new year.


No comments:

Post a Comment