Friday, October 14, 2016

The Speed of Just-Holding-it-Together!


Well, September has somehow slipped unsuspectingly into mid-October. I don't know how that happens.


Ok, I do. It's from moving at some speed that's got to be a natural boundary of how much one family can do. I'm thinking of dubbing it "the speed of just-holding-it-together," and fully expect a Nobel Prize in physics sometime after my study is published.



Case in point, since we last spoke: we attended a spaced-themed circus (I mean, animals doing tricks in space -- it's pretty much the perfect combo for E & J, had the usual fun at the Santa Clara Art & Wine -- though it was sweltering again this year, and we had a nice time at Lisa's company's 25th anniversary party at the Chabot Space & Science Center. Of course, there was soccer, swimming, ballet, and gymnastics mixed in there, too. 



Work has been extreme for both Lisa & I...which always increases the overall intensity of life. So we really have come to rely even more on the best family in the world to help keep us moving along. We love spending time down in Morgan Hill at Nana & Papa's new place, hanging out with Uncle Brian and his friend Belinda, and following the Giants into the Postseason (sorry, too soon...I know) with Oma & Opa (as disappointingly as it ended, it sure was fun/stressful while it lasted -- now, we can start hoping during odd numbered years as well!).



I seriously have no clue how anyone could raise a family & work full time without the supportive army that we have here. We've always been in their debt, though after these last couple of years, I think we're close to National debt depth.




The highlight of the last month for me was our camping trip with the Pigerams to Mt. Madonna. It struck a chord from my childhood of being out in the wilderness with a bunch of family friends. Watching my own kids zip through camp in a pack of small wild'ens resonates so strongly I can't really put it into words. I loved how all four of them "help me" make the camp (and that's an understated use of quotation marks...trying to keep them busy collecting sticks while not combusting was one of the most stressful things I've ever attempted). Or seeing them play Crazy Eights with Lisa & Jasmine. Or listen to them squeal with delight as Kyle oversaw the endless hours of fetch with Bailey. Or J insisting to "help" do the dishes for every meal (and those quotes much be overstated...I think she really did do more good there than interfere). It was a perfect weekend to go as well: while it was HOT in Santa Clara, the redwoods were perfect. And it was, literally, the day before a large wildfire started just a handful of miles away.




Beyond those activities, we've all been passing around a cold we picked up from the camping trip (I think)...so we're working through that right now. J's the last to have it, I hope. I dislike the cold/flu season...it makes a complicated life all that more complex. And it's just the start of it this year. 






J has been having a great time in her ballet, swimming, and gymnastics. She's a hoot, as always. As I was putting her to sleep the other night, I told her that it was time to go night-night like a big girl and that I was going to leave. She said ok, but that she was going to "call you back two more times." Which she did, once for "one more song and hug," and another for a "sip of water - Then you can put it on my table and I will get another if I am thirsty." She's two-an-a-half, people. I'm in SO much trouble. 




E is enjoying school, soccer, and watching baseball. You can hear him announcing something like, "Now, batting, number 28, Buster Ballou!" He'll stand at the edge of the kitchen, fake swing a pretend bat, and then loop through the kitchen, around the living room, with a final slide back into the kitchen. And repeat. For a good hour. He's also very into watching YouTube plane videos and/or NASCAR races with Papa, doing a project with Nana (recently: a model Pirate ship) and Opa (recently: Phil the scarecrow), or reading with Oma (current favorite book: IF I BUILT A HOUSE).




Another moment that nearly broke my heart -- and captures a lot of the essence of E -- is the other day when Nana & Papa gave the kiddos three pennies each to make wishes in a fountain. Still unclear on the universal wishes rules, E announced his (and I'm glad he did). They were, in order...
  • "I wish GG would come back from dying." 
  • "I wish I had loudest voice ever." 
  • "I wish that everyone in the whole wide world would spin around at the same time." 
Gawd! How do we just not SQUEEZZE him all the time?!



Alright, there's a million activities and cute things that I missed telling you, and for that I apologize...it's the best I can do right now as they whiz on by. So until next time, we'll keep holding it together if you do the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment